Missouri Weapons Charges
Unlawful Use of a Weapon
In Missouri, a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any area where firearms are restricted;
(2) sets a spring gun;
(3) discharges or shoots a firearm into a dwelling house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, a motor vehicle or any building or structure used for assembly of people;
(4) displays a weapon in the presence of another person in an angry or threatening manner;
(5) is in possession of a firearm or weapon while intoxicated;
(6) discharges a firearm within 100 yards of an occupied schoolhouse, courthouse or church;
(7) discharges a firearm at an object along a public highway;
(8) carries a firearm into a house of worship;
(9) discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle;
(10) carries a firearm on school grounds or on a school bus; or
(11) is in possession of a firearm while also in possession of a controlled substance.
Depending on the situation, unlawful use of a weapon can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony in the State of Missouri.
Illegal Possession of a Firearm
A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and:
(1) Such person has been convicted of a felony under the laws of this state, or of a crime under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed within this state, would be a felony; or
(2) Such person is a fugitive from justice, is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
Illegal possession of a firearm is a Class D Felony, punishable up to 7 years in prison and fines up to $10,000.
Weapons charges in the State of Missouri are serious charges with lasting consequences. Contact Howard Law at (314) 325-9868 for a free consultation regarding your weapons charge and learn what rights and remedies are best for your situation.